Labels

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Flexitarian Cooking

When I am trying to be healthy I try to cook 80% vegetarian.  Save the meat for the weekends with my beer and cheese consumption.  I found a cookbook, written by Dawn Jackson Blatner that is right in my sweet spot, called Flexitarian Cooking.  


Tonight I prepared (with my twist on it of course) 2 recipes that paired fantastically!  I prepared a salad with arugula and orange slices with a shrimp curry.  They received above average praise so I thought I would share.


Arugula Salad with Orange and Avocado
INGREDIENTS
10 ounces baby arugula
1 cup fennel bulb, shredded
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1 orange, sliced

1 1/2 Avocados
1 Lime


Vinaigrette:
1/3 cup walnut oil
1/3 Cup 50/50 orange juice
Juice of 1/2 an orange

Juice of 1/2 a lime
Orange zest
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste



Directions:
Prepare vinaigrette ahead of time to let flavors come together.  Add ingredients into a bowl and let sit.
Put fennel and oranges, into a bowl and add a little dressing.  Roll around and let it sit.  Cube avocado and squeeze half a lime over it. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Then to a bowl I add the Arugula, Fennel, orange slices, and avocado. Add dressing then mix.  Plate and add toasted walnuts.


Shrimp Coconut Curry

INGREDIENTS
Sauce:
1 can (13.5 ounce) coconut milk
1 Tablespoon curry powder
1 Tablespoon minced garlic (optional)
2 Tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 Tablespoon Fl. honey
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
1 red bell pepper, sliced (about 2 cups)
carrot chips
2 cups frozen peas
1lb. Shrimp (peeled)
1 Tablespoon oil or butter
2 cups cooked brown rice
Toppings: chopped green onions & lime wedges
Brown rice takes a good 40+ minutes to cook, so get it started early.  I prepared my salad next.  Then, I put the ingredients for the sauce in a small sauce pan, and let them get together.  While everything was getting happy, I chopped all the vegetables and removed the tails from the shrimp for the curry.  Once the rice was about finished, I fluffed and set aside.  I add a little oil to the pan, and sauted the cauliflower, carrots, and red pepper.  Once the vegies have a little color, I add the sauce, and let everything come together for about 6 or 7 minutes.  Then 1 add the peas and the add the shrimp.  Stir it around to coat with the sauce and cover with a lid.  After about 3 or 4 minutes add the brown rice, and stir together.  Let combine while you plate the salad.
-Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment